Venue: Biblioteca – Casa de la Cultura
Country: Carral (Galicia, Spain)
Date: February 19, 2016
Number of People: 29
It was thanks to a kind invitation from another EVS (European Voluntary Service) volunteer Agata, that I got an opportunity to visit the village of Carral (located 17 kilometers from A Coruña with around 6000 inhabitants) to give my first Peace Revolution workshop in Spanish, as well as guide a meditation session. The workshop was held in the public library, and gathered people of all walks of life, from 30 to 65 years old interested in gaining some practical tips on how to reduce stress and add more peace to their life.
Here are some ideas that I delivered:
1. Every day we are exposed to different life situations and challenges; we meet and interact with different people; we have thoughts and we take decisions. Naturally our mind gets contaminated. Meditation is a practice that allows us to clear the mind, observe the thoughts, and understand some inner feelings. We instantly feel better and more aware of what we should do.
2. Whenever a problem occurs, we tend to become angry and linger to accept the problem. Moreover, we start generating negative thoughts: why this happened to me? Why now? Why am I so unlucky? We allow our mind become contaminated and fill with negativity. Instead we should learn to accept, and to think of solutions. The sooner we are able to accept the problem/situation/challenge, the sooner we will find a solution.
3. First, we need to understand the reason why we feel stressed or unhappy. Only then, we can solve the problem.
4. We need to understand the nature of life: everything in our life comes as positive and negative at the same time. What makes us happy today, tomorrow we will cry about it. It is only a matter of time when it happens.
5. We are here for a certain period of time. Life is short. Why waste time on generating negativity, stress, anger, jealousy when we can focus on the positivity? At the end of the day, it is our decision where we want to invest our energy. Why not invest it in doing good things for ourselves and others?
6. Spread unconditional love to your family, friends and everyone as if we all would belong to one big family.
7. Meditate to clear your mind. If you do it every day, you will be able to understand more quickly when a discomforting feeling or anger or jealousy occupies your mind. Meditation will help you to return to the original state of a mind and easier and sooner let go contamination.
8. The happiness that we get from career achievements, expensive cars, bars, new items, travels, and other external things is limited. Once day it ends. The happiness that we get from inside lasts forever. This is why we should meditate every day.